Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Exams

Hooray for exams. They're so fun.
A few ideas ago there was a lot of complaining about there being too many exams. And that was certainly justified, since everything these days hinges on just that one important day. We're tested too often and encouraged to be too competitive, be it in sport, music, academic achievement. In Australia for example, all children are tested to see if they're good at a particular sport. If they might be the new world champion one day, they recieve masses of special training.
You should also be allowed to leave the exam room once you finish. Just as games claim to contain twice the gameplay time they actually do, exams commonly take half the time allocated. Today in my DT exam, I got so bored I was forced to look around and read about making cheese in Dartford. This bored me even more and I shortly returned to simply gazing around the room, and wondering how on EARTH a certain someone managed to need MORE PAPER to complete the questions on. There is always AMPLE room to write twice as much as you need to. How is it physically possible?
We've come up with various ways to pass the time. One of my personal favourites is using your calculator to play the numbers game on Countdown with the Random Number# function. Entertaining for a short while until it finally filters through about how crushingly dull waiting around still is...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do something slighly different. I allocated each letter on my calculator a number, or score, depending on how easily it could be used. A,E=2, X=12 etc. And then tried to find the highest scoring word. The current best was, rather depressingly, noticed by Marvin, Decadence, which scored over 20000. Damn him. That got boring though.

1:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AND...
I dont see anything wrong with us being encouraged to be competitive. Its quite useful. Although being competitive about exams is just daft. But sport is fine. And the thing in Australia is a good idea, imo.
And with regards to the paper claim, for our geography DME retake exam thingyame, they gave us far too little paper. I think everyone single person taking the exam had to ask for extra paper. They only gave us 3 1/2 sheets to write on.

1:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I worked out today that over 5 days of my life have wasted away in exams rooms, 4 days 9 hours and 55 minutes of which were UTTERLY POINTLESS (ie end of years, SATs, mocks). Sad to think that by the time I graduate, time in exams will amount to more than a week of my life.
Also, the ultimate numbers for Countdown are 75 10 9 6 5 2, so far they are yet to fail me (but sometimes i take over 30 seconds). The good thing about English and History exams is that 1) You don't finish too early and 2) When you do finish, there's stuff to read.
I also spent my time making words on a calcuator equal 1337. I got MYFACE, FACE, DEAD, BED, DEFACED and FAF to work, then changed some so it could say "Mace to the face" = 1337

Man I'm cool....

4:38 pm  
Blogger Mkzrj said...

Good work everyone :D

6:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home