Friday, June 23, 2006

Hal

You'd really like it so that when A SINGLE FUCKING FILE on your computer gets corrupted, it doesn't require THE ENTIRE FUCKING COMPUTER to be formatted (the hard drive wiped completely) and have Windows Shitty XP reinstalled on it. But apparently Bill Gates is too busy rolling on his big pile of money to give a damn about how useless his bloody machines are.
But this is what happened. My computer was lagging for some reason, probably Firefox's stupid memory leakage. So, I log off. The computer then freezes on the log-off screen, and rather than waste more of my life than I already have staring at the bloody message, I turn it off. It wasn't doing anything.
Next time I try to log in :
"The file \Shit\Crap\Hal.dll cannot be found. Please reinstall this file."
How are we supposed to do that if we can't log on you stupid piece of machinery? Which hellhole did you crawl out of and HOW CAN I PUT YOU BACK?
So I use the Windows Restore CD thing using the instructions in the manual. Naturally once the CD is inserted and the appropriate Function Key pressed, what the instructions say will happen doesn't happen and it instead asks me if I would like to create A NEW C: DRIVE!
This may come as a shock to some of the more fuckwitted diodes in there, but this isn't what I intended. So after phoning customer support, blah blah blippity blah, the upshot of this shit-up is that the entire hard-drive has to be wiped because a single file somehow got corrupted.
There are a few reliefs. My writing is all backed up on my other computer. We can probably get all the data off before we reset it. But this means a wait of quite a while until its back.
Anyway. I'm posting this on my laptop to explain how this is here. Anyone else had major problems from their PCs?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My computer uses up all of its virtual memory running minesweeper, but then still allows me to open other things and run games. It also takes about 5 minutes to start up compared to the 10 seconds it used to take. It also fails to do anything remotely close to what I tell it to do.
E.g. I say close MSN, the computer fails to close it and instead prevents me from doing anything except press Ctrl+Alt+Delete. Then, the task manager crashes, so I have to close it using a new task manager, which then decides to freeze. I'm considering burning the computer...

7:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, great, isn't it?

You just wait until you get a fairly minor registry corruption in the "wrong place"; then you're completely screwed. That happened to me once – we were running windows ME though, so probably asking for it.

The macs haven't done anything too bad. I've managed to get one to kernel panic though. It was quite tricky.
Firefox was mainly responsible for it: it is indeed a problem memory-wise, and when its supply of RAM gets low it then starts doing Weird Things.

Evil program.

Should get more memory?...

7:44 pm  
Blogger Mkzrj said...

Yeah, Weird Things is worthy of the capital letters. FF is great and all, but when it decides to use up more memory than HL2...you're in trouble.

8:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well - when I first got this computer, PC World *hawk...ptooey* decided not to connect both the wires to the hard-drive properly. Then they decided that that might not bugger up quickly enough, so they decided to break one of the connectors in half - and shove the other half inside the fan mechanism so that the 3.2 ghz processor would run without cooling. Good work PISSY world.

They then fixed the resulting CATASTROPHIC MELTDOWN of errors but decided - as a bit of a laugh - not to replace the broken connector. Upshot? IT BREAKS AGAIN!

Anyway - the repair man came around one friday night - so after hiding behind the door and beating him SENSELESS with a user manual, I strung him up by his ears and used him as a punchbag for the next 6 months. Recently I took him down and put him in his vegetative state into a bath because he was getting quite smelly. Then I THREW the broken computer in so that it brained him AND electrocuted him! Result!

I then complained to PC World that he was blocking up my drains and they paid to remove him, and fix my PC.

Thanks PC World - you're the best!

9:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed, indeed.

Incidentally, I don't know why I capitalised Weird Things but not Macs.

How silly.

9:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PC world, hayden?..... how could you?...

9:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I got my PC from PC World and I have had only... *gets out really long list* two reasonably bad things go wrong. One of them would have been completely and utterly fatal for my computer, but, because I am amazing, I have a spare harddrive. By inserting my spare hard drive in the PC as the master drive, and connecting the buggered one as the slave, I was able to restore everything that was wrong with the hard drive, and presto! One working PC. The moral of this story - always have a spare hard drive.

9:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home