Saturday, December 02, 2006

Supreme

Today is a two-part blog entry. I know that this Supreme Commander bit is a little short, but I intend to make up for it with a good entry tomorrow. Anyway...

For a long time I've had Supreme Commander down on my list of games to probably buy when it comes out if only because the trailer looks nice and most screenshots look pretty good. So when I was alerted the multiplayer Beta version was out for release, and I leapt at it. After spending an inordinate amount of time searching my way through stupid Fileplanet and its stupid systems for everthing I finally got the 1.2 GB download going. I then sat back for the 30 minute wait.


90 minutes later, Supreme Commander was here. I loaded it up, turned down every avaliable setting to the lowest to try and get a decent framerate, and let it run. My average framerate was 2. The previews make Supreme Commander look like a good game, a proper RTS unlike some of those shitty C&C clones. Videos of it make it look awe inspiringly awesome, with awesometastic battles and even-awesomerer nukes. It looks... battly.

The game starts you off with a robot rather than an MCV or something normal which appears to shoot your buildings out of its arms. This is all fine and dandy even though it makes no more sense than Ruth Kelly being allowed out in public, but I ran with it.

Since this isn't a particularly long entry and I want to skip quickly to the other half of today's entry, let me sum up by listing the following things that suck.

The minimap is worthless. Here's a quick lowdown of what you can see below :


--> Well, see those tiny little dots? Notice how it is impossible to see what they actually are? Well, those are your units. Or your buildlings. Or possibly your mission-vital mega robot, it's just impossible to tell. See that one on the far left? Chances are that's one of the generic and identical looking buildings that don't do anything useful.

--> All your units appear as a single pixel when on the only zoom-level you can do anything on.

--> Every unit looks the same.

--> You can apparently have infinite resources. The two resources are energy and mass, now picture this :
Building 1 : this gives you +24 mass and - 1500 energy.
Building 2 : this gives you +2500 energy at no mass cost.
Now, unless my teaching from Maths supremo Mrs "I'm less interesting than a wandering Seagull" Dyas fails me now (and please don't, I put so much faith in you Mrs Dyas) then I think this results in infinite resources. How very, very silly.

--> Finally, the record of a brief msn conversation about the game of it we'd just played. Thanks to Tom for writing a little of this entry and also giving me someone to accidentally kill.

Me : well that was interesting.
Tom : and confusing
Me : *removes supreme commander from list of games i want*
Tom : it could still be decent i think
Me : i'm going to make a short list of things i want changing in supreme commander
Me : 1. the game

----

As a vaguely regular feature I'm now going to tear to pieces some of the awful, awful weapon ideas from people on the Bungie Halo 3 weapons thread who've apparently suffered brain rot of such incredible proportions that they think posting "if we had motorcycles with shields at the front and back so you can get nades in between and 2 atomatic guns at the front" three times in the same thread is the way to make friends.

i think there should be a dual wield for 2 swords or maybe 2 shotguns.

So you would suggest we make two of the strongest weapons even stronger? Nay, not just that my fine feathered friend but you would like us to do the IMPOSSIBLE like the duel wielding mod in Unreal Tournament where your arms intersect? While we're at it, why don't we go all Goldeneye-All-Weapons-Mod and have you fire a tank cannon?

they should have a gun wot is like a battle rifle but it sprays bombs!!!???

I don't know wot that would look lyk but it sounds shit!!???

i think the plamsa pistl needs 2 b made more powreful

I think you need to be given a vasectomy for the good of all mankind, but we don't all get what we want...

i think u need to make the battle rifle a bit less stronger. also make the magunm a bit more stronger!

I think you need to become a bit less stupider. Please, please, please get a brain. It is really not so hard to use the most elementary of grammar. There, their and they're are all very different words which are easy to remember unless you have an IQ lower than your age. Since most of the people on this thread appear to be 8-year olds for whom Halo is the only thing in the immediate Universe - we're in trouble.

5 Comments:

Blogger dj chainz said...

I lyk the rantage! But you said lyk, instead of LIKE. I fear that you are feeling very ill today :O

That supreme commander looks pretty poor in game standards; and the bad poor, as in it's so bad it's just bad. Not amusing, like my worst game ever will be!

That post gets three thumbs up. Out of five.

7:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, your destroyer deciding to kill my commander without you even telling it to, and my commander NOT moving as I DID tell him to do was rather annoying, odd etc.
It is just a Beta though. I'll leave an decisions about the game to a decent demo. All magazine and website reviews will give it 4589734587 out of 10 though because its the sequel to Total Annihilation which they orgasm over.
I will also point out that in our internet game, I did not have the same problem as you did with your minimap. Oh no. Mine didn't show ANYTHING! So count yourself lucky to have those dots. It appears that Gas Powdered Games think giving on side a radar that doesn't work is fair...
Finally, I demand more recognition for that entry. I wrote the original review of that beta, brought the fact it was sub par to your attention and spent hours trawling through the 82000 posts on that Halo 3 thread in search of shit ideas (admittedly not an entirely arduous task when there is such a plentiful supply which often have me keeling over with laugher, but that's besides the point.)

8:32 pm  
Blogger Mkzrj said...

*gives credit*

9:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Credits? Republic credits are no good out here. I need something more real.

10:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, why not have a shield that makes you:
1. Go through walls
2. Be totally invulnerable
3. Utilise auto-aim functions
4. Be able to sit back and relax as the suit does everything for you!

That wouldn't sap the fun from multiplayer!

1:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home